STAFF RECIPE FILE
Paprika Chicken and Chickpeas
from Meredith’s kitchen
(taken from NutritionAction.com)
3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
6 bone-in chicken thighs, skin and fat removed
(NOTE: I used skinless chicken breasts, enough to serve 2 with plenty for leftovers)
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
¼ cup tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs. paprika
1 15 oz. can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
1 15 oz. can no-salt-added chickpeas, undrained
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
¾ tsp. kosher salt
- In a large heavy pot, heat the oil until shimmering hot over medium heat. Sauté the chicken until browned, 3-4 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Sauté the onion and pepper until they start to brown, 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook, stirring often, until it starts to darken, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and paprika and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes and chickpeas with their liquid. Return the chicken and any juices to the pot. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and gently simmer until the chicken is tender and cooked through, 15-20 minutes.
- Season with pepper and up to ¾ tsp. of salt.
Serve over brown rice, quinoa, etc . . . and enjoy!