2 tablespoon butter
5 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 quarts chicken broth(use low-sodium or no-salt to reduce sodium!)
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2. Add the onions and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until browned.
3. Add the sugar and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes longer.
4. Add the sweet potatoes, broth, allspice, thyme, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil.
5. Quickly reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sweet potato pieces are fork-tender.*
6. Adjust the seasonings and serve.
* Alternate: For a smoother soup, transfer the ingredients to a food processor after the ingredients are fork-tender and puree in batches. Return to the pot, reheat, and serve.
Nutritional Facts per serving
Taken from www.rodalesorganiclife.com